Sunday, June 21, 2009

why go to church?

Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday (or Saturday).

"I've gone to Church for 30 years now.." he wrote, "And in that time, I have heard something like 3,000 sermons? But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them! So, I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all.."

This started a real controversy in the 'Letters to the Editor' column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher.

"I've been married for 30 years now.. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals.. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals.. But I do know this, they all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work.. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to Church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!"

When you are DOWN to nothing.. God is UP to something!

For our physical life we do things we don't always enjoy doing like washing clothes, doing the dishes, taking out the garbage, changing baby's diapers.. but even if we don't enjoy theses things.. we have to do it to keep us clean, healthy and eventually keep us from greater problems..

Honestly, we may not always enjoy going to Church but we need to do it to keep our spirits strong and healthy.

If you want to stay buff, fit and sexy you have to regularly go the the exercise room. To get and maintain the body you want you have to stick to your routine even when you don't feel like it... The same applies to our spirit... we need to keep it fit and healthy... so we need to nourish it by praying and going to Church... even if at times we feel lazy to go.

Poor kid if you don't change its diapers, but diaper changing is never fun. Poor soul if you don't nourish it by going to church at times can seem discard-able.

Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible!

Thank God for our physical AND our spiritual nourishment!

* * *

taken from the bulletin message of Assistant Principal for Pastoral Affairs (APPA), Fr. Sylvester Casaclang, SDB

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging Gets Any Better ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates